There are a lot of veggie burger recipes out there. I have at least 15 in all the cookbooks I have/food blogs I follow. I’ve tried a handful of them, and this is one of my favorites. I love it because it has all sorts of healthy ingredients, and the batter sticks together and is easy to make into patties without sticking too much to your hands. You can of course add anything you like on top, but I personally love it with avocado, caramelized onions and cheese.
This was adapted from Angela Liddon’s Oh She Glows cookbook – one of my favorite vegan cookbooks and blogs.
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 15 oz can black beans (or make them from scratch, or try lentils or another type of bean)
- 1 cup grated carrot (about one carrot)
- 1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cups rolled oats, processed into flour (just throw into a vitamix or I guess any type of blender and blend for a few seconds, or if you don’t have time use any flour you like)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 to 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 350 ° F (180 ° C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Grate carrots in food processor. Remove and set aside in a bowl. Switch blades to chopper and add parsley, garlic and onions and process until very finely chopped.
Mash black beans into a paste, leaving some whole beans for texture.
Combine the mixture from food processor with carrots, beans and everything else.
With slightly wet hands shape the dough into 8 patties.
Bake for 15 minutes, flip and bake another 15-20 minutes.